Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Chocolate Crackle Cookies

Today I am sharing a recipe I actually made quite some
time ago and never got around to posting about.

As a matter of fact, I can't tell you exactly when I made them.

But believe you me, I certainly remember
just how scrumptious they were!


I first saw the recipe in an email from Bakerella,
but as it turns out...she got it from Martha Stewart.

Who knows where SHE got it from. :)


As you can see from the top picture above...
you will make an epic mess making these cookies.

Trust me...they're worth it.


They even package well for giving to awesome
neighbors who let you borrow stuff!

Then they tell you things like:
well, if I'm gonna get cookies whenever you
borrow something...take whatever you want!
:)


The ingredients are listed as in the original recipe...
you can see where I made a note of anything I changed.


Chocolate Crackle Cookies
  • 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled {I used semi-sweet}
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup Dutch cocoa powder
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature {I used salted}
  • 1 1/3 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1 cup confectioners' sugar, plus more for rolling

Directions
1.Heat oven to 350 degrees. Chop chocolate into small chunks, and melt in a double boiler or in the microwave. Set aside to cool.

2.Stir together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt.

3.In a separate mixing bowl, beat butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla, and beat until well combined. Add melted chocolate. With mixer on low speed, alternate adding dry ingredients and milk until just combined.

4. {I don't think I did this next part...knowing me, I probably stuck the whole mixing bowl in the fridge for 45 minutes to an hour.  Impatience at its best.} Divide the dough into quarters, wrap with plastic wrap, and chill in the refrigerator until firm, about 2 hours.

5. Using your hands, roll the dough into balls about an inch or so wide.  If dough starts to get too soft or warm...stick back in fridge to chill. Roll balls in confectioners’ sugar again to coat completely.

6.Place the cookies 2 inches apart on a baking sheet. Bake until cookies have flattened and the sugar cracks, 12 to15 minutes.

7.Transfer from oven to a wire rack to let cool completely.

Makes about 4 dozen.


Remember...it's nice to share. But I won't tell if you don't.


Have I convinced you to add some
chocolate cookies to your life?
You will thank me...I know it.



Leaving a trail of crumbs here:

7 comments:

  1. Kelloy- These are really PRETTY and sound wonderful. I am saving the recipe and will bake them for the kids. I don't eat sugar but these are sure tempting! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. These looks so yummy, who cares if they make a mess!
    Lynnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to invite you to my Friday Flash Blog, where you can share your best blog entry of the week! The party goes on ALL weekend at thejennyevolution.com. And who knows, you may just get featured next week.

    Jennifer
    thejennyevolution.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love crackle cookies (especially lemon ones). These chocolate bad boys look like they will give my lemon crackles a run for their money! Stopping by from Tasty Tuesdays :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are my favorite cookies that my Grandma makes every year for Christmas. Pinning them so I can have my own recipe :) (Found you via the Tasty Tuesdays linkup.)

    Ellie
    www.ChoosingPeaceBlog.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! I need to borrow something....can I have some cookies?!?!? jk :) I love these cookies. I'm hoping over from Tasty Tuesday and am your newest bloglovin, twitter follower, and liked you on facebook. I would love for you to visit my blog at http://gloriouslymade.blogspot.com. I look forward to hearing more from your blog. :)
    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  7. This recipe looks delicious - love the gift wrapping! Thanks for linking up with us at Tasty Tuesdays this week! Ruth x

    ReplyDelete

Sweet comments make me a happy girl!
I love and read each and every one!
I do my best to respond to all of them...even though it may take a while...questions I try to answer right away.