Friday, October 2, 2015

Outdoor Movie Night

Hey there!
I wanted to share something fun we did recently before
the weather got too cold for you to do it, too!

We hosted an outdoor movie party and it was a blast!
Even if we did get rained out...boo.


It's so fun and easier than you think!
We used a cheap shower curtain for our screen and clamped it to the back fence.
I only wish I'd gotten one a bit bigger or maybe two.

We asked guests to bring camp chairs and/or blankets...
but we had some available also.



I researched inexpensive projectors with USB
connections and chose this one I found on Amazon.
I won't be the next destination for the Sundance film festival,
 but for $58 it works pretty great!

It does have its own speakers but we hooked up
some computer speakers we had along with a spare woofer,
 and it sounded awesome!

We just connected it to our laptop to play the DVD.


Once you've taken care of all the tech stuff...it's time for food!
Always make sure you have plenty of tasty treats,
but keeping it simple means no stress eats!


In trying to keep with the movie night theme we had corn dogs,
single size candy, and of course, POPCORN!


I think Sara and I made popcorn for almost 2 hours straight in the air popper. Oooof.


I found the NOW SHOWING chalkboard on Amazon,
along with the character concession cutouts and the popcorn bags.
You can find a lot of those things at Hobby Lobby, too.


To add to the fun and let guests participate in the movie choice,
we included a URL to a SurveyMonkey questionnaire.
Invitees were able to vote for their favorite of 3 movies and
let us know what their favorite movie night snack is.

It made it easy to pick a movie everyone would enjoy,
and make sure we had good treats.



Let me say...The Princess Bride in the backyard is so awesome.
As I said, we did get rained out about half way through.
It hadn't rained in our area for WEEKS!!!

Families with young kids went on home...
everyone else helped get the equipment out of the rain
and we finished the movie inside.

Even with the rain...it was totally worth it and so much fun!

I apologize for the dark pictures.
It's not easy to snap pics in the dark ;)
I hope you decide to make a movie night...
even if you have to do it next year.
I think we're starting a new family tradition!

Till next time...


Rolling out the red carpet here:

Crafts a la Mode
AKA Design

2 comments:

  1. Kelly- What a fun party to host! I love the idea but it is too bad you got rained out...that makes for a good story though and something the kids will remember. Your "treats" look awesome! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also a great fan of outdoor movie party with my best friends only. You have hosted a great fun party dear!! Last month I went to movie party with my family and then we had dinner at venue NYC. What an amazing food stuff we have got there.

    ReplyDelete

Sweet comments make me a happy girl!
I love and read each and every one!
I do my best to respond to all of them...even though it may take a while...questions I try to answer right away.