Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Caramel Mocha Mini Bundt Cakes


Or maybe a better title would be:
My Misadventures In Baking

Seriously.

I started out to make this cake from Inside BruCrew Life...
for Father's Day and ran in to trouble right from the start.

Well, I guess the trouble didn't start right away.
Like, I KNEW I didn't have plain yogurt.
No biggie.

  
I used sour cream.
I make all my cakes with sour cream so I
wasn't the least bit worried about this part.
{if you click that link you can see most of my cakes}

I used vanilla pudding instead of chocolate because that's
what I had and didn't want to make a special trip.
You know how it is.

All was well and good.
Or so I thought.

I went to the baker's rack to get my fluted stoneware pan...
it was cracked.
Big crack.  How the heck did that get there?
{insert BIG sad face here}

At least they still make them...
SO...I had to do the next best thing...
use the mini fluted stoneware pan that's
been gathering dust in the cupboard.


Moving on...
Everything seemed to be going smoothly,
until it was time to add the oil.

Where did it go? Is it hiding?
I could have sworn I saw a bottle in the cabinet the other day.
Either that or the pancake syrup was playing tricks on me.

We mainly cook with olive oil and I didn't want to use that.
So I substituted melted butter.

I couldn't get my white chocolate to
melt properly...it kept getting lumpy.

Oh.My.Goodness.

But, just so you know...
it turned out DELICIOUS!!!!!


So, here are the adaptions I made to the original recipe:

Ingredients:

  • 1 chocolate cake mix (I use Betty Crocker's Triple Chocolate Fudge ~ THEEEE Best!!!)
  • 1 instant chocolate {or vanilla} pudding mix (or whatever flavor you want)
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 stick butter, mostly melted
  • 1 cup brewed coffee, cooled
  • 1 cup mini chocolate chips (optional if you use the above cake mix)



I interrupt this regularly scheduled blog post for a sweet tooth service announcement:


See this naked can?
Did you know it's super easy to make caramel sauce?



Grab a can of sweetened condensed milk
{I'm a snob and only buy Eagle brand}
Remove the label...place can in pot of hot water, enough to cover it,
bring to a boil and simmer about 2 hours.
Add more water as needed to keep covered.


When the time is up, let it cool...you don't wan't to get burned.
This is what you'll see when you remove the lid.
A whole bunch of gooey caramel awesomeness.

Make several and keep them in the cupboard...
ready when you need it.
{P.S. it is unbelievable with apple slices!}

You're welcome.




Topping: 
  • 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
  • 1/2 teaspoon shortening
  • 1/2 cup caramel {you can warm it in the microwave a little so it's drizzly}
  • coarse sea salt, optional


Instructions
  1. In a mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, pudding mix, sour cream, eggs, butter, and cooled coffee. Beat on low for 1 minute, scrape sides then beat 2 minutes on medium. Stir in the chocolate chips.
  2. Since I had a mini fluted stone, I used that (with some batter to spare in cupcake wrappers), but you could also pour into a greased 10" bundt pan.
  3. Bake the minis at 350° for 40-45 minutes or the full size for 50-55 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes in the pan. Place a plate over the top of the cake and flip the cake over. Let cool completely...or not.
  4. Melt the chocolate chips and shortening in the microwave. Heat for 30 seconds. Stir until creamy. Place in a plastic baggie and cut one tip off. Drizzle over the top of the cake. {awesome tip} 
  5. Warm the caramel in the microwave until thin enough to pour...about 30 seconds. Drizzle the caramel over the chocolate. Sprinkle the top with the sea salt if desired. Store in a sealed container.

 I still want to make Jocelyn's version because it looks soooo fudgy.

11 comments:

  1. Oh, my! This looks delicious! My mouth is watering just thinking about it. You sound like my kind of baker...don't have it, find a substitute! I'm visiting from The 36th Avenue link party. Totally pinning this now!!!

    Christy @ Creating a Beautiful Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. These cakes look wonderful!! I'm drooling over my keyboard right now. Thanks so much for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look delicious. I came across your blog post over at The 36th Avenue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look and sound so yummy!! :-)
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely beautiful baby bundts! :) They look divine! I followed you here from the Stone Gable link party, by the way. Also, I’d like to invite you to come link up with me at my link party! I’d love it if you could stop by & link up some of your recipes! Here's the link: http://anyonitanibbles.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/tasty-tuesdays-16-dozen-delicious-desserts.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thank you so much for linking up with me this week at Tasty Tuesdays! I’ve pinned this & shared it with my followers! Please be sure to stop back by the party and check out some of the other links!

      Delete
  6. So despite all the mishaps while making these, they still look wonderful! And the caramel...REALLY!!?? How cool is that? Thanks for sharing this at Think Tank Thursday. They have been featured today! http://www.saving4six.com/2013/06/welcome-to-think-tank-thursday-36.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM!!! These are making my mouth water! I also love making caramel with sweetned condensed milk. It's the best! I would love to have you share this great recipe at our Simply Create Link Party.

    Melissa
    redflycreations.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are some really good looking cakes, and caramel, mmmmmm...........

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look amazing! I do that caramel trick quite often and sometimes I fiddle with the simmering time and when you cook it longer it gets thicker and thicker to the point of cutting it with a knife - yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Sweet comments make me a happy girl!
I love and read each and every one!
I do my best to respond to all of them...even though it may take a while...questions I try to answer right away.