Friday, May 24, 2013

Overnight Blueberry French Toast



Ugh...I had the awfulest {is that a word?} time
getting decent pictures of this stooopid recipe.

But it was simply too good NOT to share!

Now, granted, it is overNIGHT French toast...
so the first pictures were taken AT NIGHT in my dark kitchen...


Good stuff here, folks!
Eggs, real maple syrup...cream, vanilla, cream cheese...
and blueberries!!!



I made this for a brunch party.
Big hit.

And seriously...making in the night before?
Genius.

You can stagger to the kitchen the next morning half asleep
and pop it in the oven without too much brain strain!
And you'll be rewarded with a delicious breakfast.



Overnight Blueberry French Toast
adapted from allrecipes.com

French Toast:
  • 12 slices day old french bread, cut into 1-inch cubes {I used some gluten free baguettes}
  • 2 - 8 oz. pkgs cream cheese, cut into 1-inch cubes
  • 1 cup {or more} fresh blueberries
  • 12 eggs, beaten
  • 2 cups half and half {you could also just use milk}
  • 1 tbsp pure vanilla
  • 1/3 cup real maple syrup
 Coulis:
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 2 tbsps cornstarch
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 cup fresh blueberries
  • 1 tbsp butter
  1. Lightly grease, butter or Pam a 9X13 baking dish. Arrange half the bread cubes in the pan...top with cream cheese cubes.  Sprinkle 1 cup or so fresh blueberries over the cream cheese...top with remaining bread cubes.
  2. In a large bowl, mix the beaten eggs, half and half, vanilla, and maple syrup.  Pour over the bread mixture.  Cover and refrigerate overnight.
  3. Remove the pan from the fridge about 30 minutes before baking so it's not super cold.
  4. Preheat oven to 350°F.
  5. Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes.  Uncover and continue baking 25-30 minutes until center is firm and toast is lightly browned.
  6. While it's baking...make the sauce...or coulis: in a saucepan, mix the sugar, cornstarch, and water.  Bring to a boil.
  7. Stirring constantly, cook 3 to 4 minutes. Mix in the remaining 1 cup blueberries. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, until the blueberries burst. {I had to help them with this. :)}
  8. Stir in the butter, pour over the baked French toast.
Printable Recipe

You know...since this is a long weekend...
I think it's the perfect time for you to try this out!

Wouldn't it be soooo good with blackberries?
Or a berry medley?

Maybe a little whipped cream?

Oh man, I think it must be getting close to lunch time.
:)

Have a fabulous holiday weekend!


26 comments:

  1. I'm drooling! Just bought 2 pkgs of blueberries today, 2 for 1 also. :) Can't wait to taste this!

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok this looks incredible! Really! WOW! I am Pinning right now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! I have a loaf of French bread I could use...
    I'm visiting you today from Sundae Scoop. I co-host a Linky Party Tuesday (open thru Sat) and I'd love for you to link up! I hope you get a chance to stop by, link up and leave a comment, too!
    ~ Megin of VMG206
    Join me each Tuesday for Brag About It Link Up Party

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this recipe! Looks so easy to do!
    Stopping by from "Brag about it Tuesday" and following you on Bloglovin.

    Melissa @ My Recent favorite books

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kelly, we could totally handle eating all of your blueberry french toast! Love it.

    Just wanted to drop you a note to thank you for sharing this recipe on the BeBetsy BRAG ABOUT IT Tuesday Link and Hop.

    We hope you visit us soon and especially next week at the BeBetsy Link and Hop.

    The best to you,
    Sharon and Denise

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who can go wrong with those ingredients. It sounds fabulous. Pictures can be so frustrating at times! Especially in the evening. I struggle with it too. It was good enough to catch my attention though, so I'm impressed all around. Jodi @ www.meaningfulmama.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love big breakfast mornings on the weekend and I am so adding this to our list of recipes to try! Pictures are a pain in the tookus but yours still looks good enough to eat! I would love to have you share this at the Shady Porch Rock N Share party…going on now! Blessings, D@TheShadyPorch

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kelly,

    This looks delicious!
    I will have to add
    the recipe to my list
    of "to be tried".

    Bear Hugs,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Kelly!
    I love this idea! I am going to try this one soon!
    Thanks for sharing at the party!
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds amazing! And looks so good, I definitely will be giving it a try!
    You are featured this week at Ivy and Elephants. Please feel free to stop by and grab a featured button. Thanks so much for linking.
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks so good! Love blueberries and french toast together! Perfect breakfast to have when you're trying to impress people with breakfast besides cereal! :)


    Thanks!
    Ally

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Kelly, this looks absolutely scrumptious!!! Thank you for the recipe! Pinning and can't wait to make it next Sunday brunch (:

    PS Featuring you tomorrow at The Scoop! (;
    xoxoox

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on your feature at The Scoop! The photo was so enticing I had to come over and get the recipe. Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That sounds amazing! Love anything with blueberries in and this looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Overnight FRENCH TOAST?! Shut up! :) That looks absolutely lush! Thank you so much for linking up with me this week at Tasty Tuesdays! I’ve pinned this & shared it with my followers! Please be sure to stop back by the party and check out some of the other links!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This post has been featured in this week's roundup! You can see it and grab a featured button here: http://anyonitanibbles.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/tasty-tuesdays-18-10-stunning-food-photos.html

    Congrats on the feature! I'm now following you on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter & Bloglovin!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks delicious!!! Stopping by from Tasty Tuesdays~ I can't wait to try this!!! Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pinning this! Looks divine! Thank you for sharing at Give Me The Goods!

    Dimples & Pig Tales

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great idea; I would have never thought to throw blueberries into our overnight french toast; genius! Our family can devour blueberries like none other! Thanks for the great idea! Featuring you this week on Saturday Show & Tell! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just wanted to let you know that I will be featuring you tonight on Will Cook For Smiles! (the party starts at 8 :)
    Thank you sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Daftar Sabung Ayam Taji Depost Pulsa Bersama CLUB388CASH

    Situs Slot Pulsa Tanpa Potongan Bersama CLUB388CAH

    CLUB388CASH ADALAH SISTUS AGEN BANDAR TARUHAN ONLINE TEPECAYA YANG MEMILIKI BANYAK PERMAINAN HANYA MENGGUNAKAN 1 AKUN ATAU 1 USER ID SAJA SEMUA DAPAT DI MAINKAN SEMUA DI PERMAINAN CLUB388CASH. TENTUNYA EVENT BONUS PROMO SETIAP BULAN NYA YANG MANTAPPP ^^

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have to thank you for the efforts you’ve put in penning this blog. I’m hoping to check out the same high-grade blog posts by you later on as well. In truth, your creative writing abilities has encouraged me to get my own blog now 한국야동

    Please visit once. I leave my blog address below
    야설
    일본야동

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great article with excellent idea! Thank you for such a valuable article. I really appreciate for this great information. 한국야동

    Please visit once. I leave my blog address below
    야설
    한국야동

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like this post, And I figure that they having a great time to peruse this post, they might take a decent site to make an information, thanks for sharing it to 야동

    Please visit once. I leave my blog address below
    국산야동
    일본야동

    ReplyDelete
  25. Baked French Toast with Blueberries Recipe from Food Network You can also find 1000s of Food Network's best recipes from top chefs, shows and experts. wood floor water damage repair

    ReplyDelete

Sweet comments make me a happy girl!
I love and read each and every one!
I do my best to respond to all of them...even though it may take a while...questions I try to answer right away.